Today I started work helping an older lady learn how to use her computer, and everything was going pretty well until she wanted to scan something, and it wouldn't work. I kept getting an error message that it wasn't hooked up to the computer properly, so I tried to run the setup disk. It wouldn't read. So I called the support number, and after waiting for ten thousand years listening to their annoyingly perky jazz waiting music, they answered. Needless to say, the man had an almost indecipherable Indian accent. At least he was helpful and nice. I just couldn't understand what he was saying.
Anyway, he told me to go to the hp website, and download the software from there, since the disk wouldn't work, and after waiting another hour and a half for it to finish loading, I tried the scanner again and it still wouldn't work. I almost died. It was horrible. So I called them again and waited for ten thousand more years and then a different guy with an at least equally, if not more indecipherable Indian accent picked up. He kept using really funny phrases like "I think it would be for your best wishes to do this." But, he was like "I can't help you because your warranty expired." (Except he used much less decisive and intelligible language than that.)
The result of all this was, that she's going to go and buy a whole new scanner. I'll probably help her set it up next week, and hopefully I won't have so much trouble then. Not that I dislike the trouble myself, I just hate the feeling that I'm wasting someone's time because of stupid things that are out of my control.

2 comments:
I know, don't you just hate foreigners and the way they don't speak English good?
Only when I'm trying to get technical support over the phone, haha.
Post a Comment